Re: Non routable IPv6 registry proposal

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote on 21/01/2021 18:57:
The payoff for IETF is that I think the combination provides the right level of incentive to drive IPv6 adoption.

being brutally honest here: most people will never know and will care even less what their ipv6 address block is. What they want to do is to walk into their home / office / the shop / etc and to be able to browse cat videos, send selfies on groups and upload pics to social media. Issues relating to ip addressing are so far away from their field of interest or even awareness that it's a bit bizarre for us to have to remind ourselves yet again that bringing IP address portability and guaranteed uniqueness to the masses is a vanishingly small niche.

There is a market for this, for sure, in the same way that there's also a market for consumer availability of everything from generic transistors to coffee machine pumps. But it is not, and never will be a mass market phenomenon.

I spent two happy hours last weekend upgrading my coffee machine pump with a quieter model (invensys cp4/sp) purchased at low cost from ebay. No matter how much fun it was, it didn't cause higher adoption of home coffee machines in the marketplace.

Nick