Re: Non routable IPv6 registry proposal

On 21-Jan-21 14:41, George Michaelson wrote:
> MAC addresses are on a shared medium.
>
> ULA are disjoint. The risk is that 1 in 220 networks in a field of
> 100,000 things pick the same value of NON ROUTABLE

The probability of a collision among 100,000 ULAs is 4.54*10^-03, according
to RFC4193. So most likely there is no collision at all, but let's
continue...

> and then.. decide to join. Now, tell me the risk of 1 in 220 things,
> both picking the same ULA, *AND* seeking to join their private
> networks.

It's unknowable, because there is no calculus for how likely network A is
to interconnect with network Q, where A and Q are arbitrary choices.
What is knowable, and is worked out for you in RFC4193, is that the
probability of A and Q both having picked the same pseudo-random 40 bits
is 1.81*10^-12.

Of course, if we assume that 10 billion sites around the world each pick
a pseudo-random 40 bit number, the probability that collisions exist is
effectively 1. But that doesn't matter; for any two sites that happen to
interconnect, the probability remains at 1.81*10^-12. Even for a set of
10 sites that happen to interconnect, the probability of collision is
only 4.54*10^-11.

Somewhere above 1000 sites, the probability of a collision gets as high
as one per million. So if you run a very large corporate network, assign a
separate ULA /48 prefix to each site, and merge two sites, you are looking
at a 1 per million chance of a problem, unless you make a trivial check
before doing the merge. (However, why a corporate network would do that
is a mystery. They could simply use one ULA /48 for the whole network.)

I have never lost any sleep over this issue, which has been well understood
and documented for 15 years.

    Brian