Re: Non routable IPv6 registry proposal

(I'm not a ULA fan, it's going to cause problems.. but)

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 7:16 PM John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > No. Collissions are actually almost guaranteed (birthday paradox).
>
> When I do the birthday paradox calculation, I find that the chances that
> 100,000 random numbers each 40 bits long are all different is about 95%.
> I'll take those odds.

Warren made this website/application/etc:
  http://mac-collision-probability.appspot.com/calculate

which was used for privacy address problems/discussions, but... if you
make it 40 bits and 100,000 stations
apparently you'll get a collision 1 out of 220 times. I think that
means that ULA network selections COULD overlap at about the same
rate.

There are ~1.4m small businesses in the US, if they all chose ULA
that's more than a few collisions.
Collisions matter because when 2 networks that collide come together
it's messy :( to untangle and decide whom is going to do what :(
it's also not always obvious that it's happening :( until something crashes :(