Re: Non routable IPv6 registry proposal

Philip,

On 20/1/21 17:06, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
[...]

The background to this proposal is as follows:

0) Nowhere does the 'end to end' principle demand that the source and destination addresses on an IP packet remain constant.

The end-to-end principle are guideliness, rather than specific mandates.

IPv6 is (was?) supposed o be end-to-end, and address translation (which you seem to be implying) goes against simplicity and robustness.

1) NAT is here to stay. IPv6 does not eliminate the need for NAT except for enterprises which 'own' their IPv6 address blocks.

I won't challenge this.

I have IPv6 service from Verizon but I obviously can't use it on my internal network because my IPv6 address changes every few months. This is certain to be the case for virtually every residential Internet drop and the vast majority of business customers.

Depends on what you're implying. You could certainly use them, and the network would eventually gracefully renumber.. -- whether this would be practical, is a different question.

2) NAT multiplexing will become an increasing problem

Current NAT conflates two functions. The function of translating IP addresses at the network boundary will continue to be motivated by operational and security concerns that are not going to go away.

The function of multiplexing multiple hosts onto a single IPv4 Internet address is never going to go away but only for the limited number of Internet hosts that require that access.

These two are essentially variants of the same thing.

I have a very large number of IP connected devices in the house but I really don't want the coffee pot talking to the open Internet.

You do not need a NAT for that: you can deploy a firewall.

As people end up with thousands of devices inside their home, port exhaustion at the NAT box and the ridiculous complexity of it all is going to become a major headache. Sharing one IP address between 100 hosts works, its not ideal but it works right up to the point where you decide that you need fault tolerance and you are going to need two NAT boxes and the mapping data has to be synchronized.

You don't need this for IPv6. i.e., even if you translated (NPT) , you don't need to multiplex all hosts into the same address -- this is/was done in IPv4 because IPv4 addresses are scarce. BUt that's not the case with IPv6.

Solution

The solution is to provide a non-routable space where address block collisions are unlikely.

Welcome to ULAs: RFC4193

The only ways to avoid collisions are either to (1) randomly assign spaces in a sufficiently large space or (2) have a registrar whose function is to guarantee uniqueness.

FWIW, ULAs do (1).

[...]

This is probably sufficient. But a registry model would make for more efficient allocation of the space and allow the allocation to be bound to a public key whose private part is held by the registrant.

That comes at the price of running the registry. And I'm curios: if you're going to pay, why not get a routable prefix, and simply not announce it via BGP?

[...]
So this allows traffic patterns where as far as Alice's mobile and Bob's desktop are concerned, a communication is established on the 2002://16 net and is constant the entire time. But behind the scenes, those addresses are being mapped to/from Internet routable addresses at the network boundary and those mappings are changed dynamically as Alice moves about from her home IP network, to her wireless provider, to her company provider. If she is at home and a tree takes out her Fios (like happened to me), her mobile provider simply kicks in without a pause.

You don't need a registry for this. You can achive the same thing with ULS + NPT.

Or even worse, we should fix IPv6's support for multi-prefix/multi-link networks, which is known to be broken.

[Yes, I know there are similar ideas. But having an assigned private address space that is globally unique but not used for Internet routing helps simplify those as well]

Regarding globally-uniqueness, you may want to check the ULA spec (RFC4193) and this: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-ipv6-ula-scop

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont