Re: Old directions in social media.

On 1/7/21 5:17 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

I fully understand that it is more convenient for you to have everything available in your favorite tool (in this case email).
But consider also what is easier and more efficient for those who actually do the bulk of the work.

I am not sure that I agree that "the bulk of the work" is document editing.  In my experience a tremendous amount of work is done in discussion, because truly understanding what is important to get right about a protocol, and truly understanding what the issues are, and truly developing an understanding of many participants' points of view - seeing things from many different angles - is very hard work.   And that hard work is not only done by the document editors or chairs, but often by several different active participants in a conversation.

Document editing is indeed difficult work, and I don't wish to discount that.   But the (partial) merging of minds is what makes good documents possible.

And I also don't think that we should presume that github is more efficient, or that it is or should be the tool of choice, for everybody who edits I-Ds.   That seems like an undesirable bias for IETF to impose should it go down that path.

Keith