Re: Old directions in social media.

On 1/6/21 10:18 AM, Rob Wilton (rwilton) wrote:

I’m not really wanting to get dragged into this debate … but I think that it might be interesting to try and objectively compare the quality of the documents produced by WGs making use of github vs those just using email.

One swallow does not a summer make, but I note that the 4 QUIC documents that are in IESG review all seem to be exceptionally polished and well written, and I understand that the QUIC WG has a strong Github based editing process.  Of course, there could be many factors as to why this is (e.g., maybe the editors are native English speakers, these documents probably have had more review and discussion) but it also seems plausible that easier collaborative editing/updates might be a factor in the high quality output from the WG.

I'm fairly certain that it has far more to do with who is authoring/editing the documents than any tools. My favorite whipping boy rfc 8226 is terrible and woefully underspecified, and when that was pointed out in last call, it got aggressive push back. Tools are not going to change that sort of problem. What we'd need is AI's that can emulate the normative language and poke holes in it. Sometimes the I's are up to the task but too often they are not, or are ignored.

Mike