Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations-06.txt> (Security Considerations for Transient Numeric Identifiers Employed in Network Protocols) to Best Current Practice

Ben:

>>> FWIW, our intent is to have a BCP document that is part of (i.e., updates) BCP72.  Given that flawed transient identifiers have plagued most IETF protocols we can think of, we believe the topic deserves a BCP.

>>> Could you please elaborate?
>>
>> It is not a Best Current Practice if the document does not provide MUST and SHOULD statements for implementers to follow.
>>
>> The current document provides information for implementers to consider in making their design choices, but it falls short if a BCP in my view.
>
> RFC 3552 is pretty sparing with normative language, with most of the key
> requirements living in its Section 5 ("Writing Security Considerations
> Sections"), which boil down to "you are obligated to accurately depict the
> security properties of your protocol, and here are a list of specific
> things that are extra-mandatory to consider".  However, RFC 3552 also has a
> substantial list of "Common Issues" in its Section 4 and subsections.  My
> question to you, is what mechanism(s) you would consider appropriate to add
> to the list of "Common Issues".  I think it's pretty clear that a full-on
> "bis" document should be able to add to (or or remove from, I suppose) the
> list, but what else?  Please consider that as a separate question from
> whether these issues would merit inclusion in the RFC 3552 §5 list of
> mandatory-to-consider topics -- we may well need to consider that question
> as well, in the course of this IETF LC, but I would prefer to hear answers
> to the first question at this point.

I do not think the real message here is how to write security considerations regarding transient identifiers.

I also agree with EKR's position.

Russ