Re: Telnet and FTP to Historic

Nick Hilliard writes:

> Christian de Larrinaga wrote on 03/12/2020 11:13
>> there are times when having telnet to test a mail server / email address is helpful?
>>
>> Happy to have a better sweetie if you can suggest one
>
> netcat is probably better for this because it opens up a raw socket and
> doesn't attempt to cook the transport layer, like telnet.

Yes John Levine mentioned nc earlier. I do use it for some usecases but I find
muscle memory takes over and telnet has a loooong history.

I have been slowly reviewing and installing newer tools on my linux
laptops over the year. But gaining a 10,000 metre view of the current options takes
time.

> In any event, reclassifying a protocol as historic doesn't mean that the
> tools will disappear.  It just means that as a protocol is at an
> evolutionary dead end.

When one stops eating one's own dog food ....

> It's ok to admit this sort of thing and not see it as a bad thing. The
> world moves on.
>
> The same applies to finger except more so.  And identd (rfc1413),
> chargen (rfc864), echo/udp (rfc862) and, honestly, cartloads of the
> earlier rfcs.  If there were a gigantic bonfire of a bunch of these, I
> would be happy to supply the marshmallows.
>
> Nick

sounds like a job to build the wiki for this.

Christian de Larrinaga