Re: [Last-Call] [DNSOP] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04

Op 02-12-2020 om 22:49 schreef Stephen Farrell:

> Hiya,
>
> On 02/12/2020 21:38, Willem Toorop wrote:
>> Op 02-12-2020 om 21:37 schreef Stephen Farrell:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> So what happens after 2038? That's really not v. far in the
>>> future any more.
>>
>> The draft states that `All comparisons involving these fields MUST
>> use "Serial number arithmetic", as defined in [RFC1982]'. So it can not
>> be used to compare differences larger than 68 years, but comparisons of
>> cookie timestamps are more in the "hours" order of magnitude.
>
> Sorry for being dim, but is clear what value to put
> in those 4 octets in say 2039 such that different
> implementations will do the right thing
Well the text does specify an "32-bit unsigned number of seconds elapsed
since 1 January 1970 00:00:00 UTC", so because of the "unsigned" the
wrap to 0 is only in 2106, not 2038.

But even then, in 2106, it should not be a problem to check the age of a
cookie because of the rfc1982 comparison (which takes care of the wrap)
and the fact that Server Cookies will not be older than hours (and not
years).

Cheers,
-- Willem