Re: [Last-Call] [DNSOP] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04

Op 02-12-2020 om 21:37 schreef Stephen Farrell:

<snip>

>> ad 2) we need a value that’s synchronized well enough and monotonic.
>> I honestly don’t see any value in using 64-bit value here. Using
>> unixtime has a value in itself, it’s a well-known and there’s a
>> little room for any implementer to make a mistake in an
>> implementation. The interoperability is more important than the
>> actual value of the counter. It’s write only counter, nobody is going
>> to interpret it after it has been generated, and it’s wide enough to
>> prevent brute forcing.
>
> So what happens after 2038? That's really not v. far in the
> future any more.

The draft states that `All comparisons involving these fields MUST
use "Serial number arithmetic", as defined in [RFC1982]'. So it can not
be used to compare differences larger than 68 years, but comparisons of
cookie timestamps are more in the "hours" order of magnitude.

Cheers,
-- Willem