Re: Two FTP issues

--On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 01:36 +0100 Carsten Bormann
<cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> There, and for the specific case of Unicode, probably we
>> disagree.  Keep in mind that a number of contemporary
>> operating systems use UTF-16, or even UTF-32, with some byte
>> ordering, internally.  They typically know they are doing
>> that, if only to be able to do an orderly conversation to
>> UTF-8 for putting over the wire or from UTF-8 or ASCII for
>> incoming data.
>
> Generally, the Web (and the need for MIME sniffing) has
> shattered any hope I might have had there.  The problem really
> is that the FTP server is disconnected from all the
> application knowledge that made the file happen.

But, unless those files were created, e.g., in the web, so is a
web browser.

> And that is very different from the situation…
>
>> […] we do not allow
>> text/plain charset="I don't have a clue what this is or how it
>> was encoded but I think it is text".  And, if the originating
>> system knows enough to specify that a body part is text/plain
>> and to specify a charset,
>
> … where it is not the system, it is the application (mail
> client), often with some help of the user. E.g., we have much
> better metadata on clipboard data than on files. For files,
> the application can use heuristics whose failures at least
> *can* be corrected by someone sitting in front of the screen.
> (But then, even with that I still get tons of mojibake in
> e-mail.)

And I continue to have an interesting problem with the
vendor-preferred mail client on a well-known operating system
copying in the text of a previous message, which it had stored
in UTF-16, appending it to the message being composed in UTF-8
without changing the encoding, and then sending the result out
labeled charset=utf-8.  Receiving MUAs who sniff may be able to
make sense of that situation; those who actually follow the spec
are headed for trouble.

But one reasonable conclusion from that experience and your
comments above it that it is all hopeless and we should just
give up on independently developed standards letting the major
vendors and their browsers and MUAs do what they feel like and
either abandoning other applications or reverse-engineering
sufficiently that they conform to whatever those vendors are
doing.

It would save us a lot of meetings and arguments.

   john