Re: Interoperability and competition [was: Google, etc, and their proprietary protocols]

On 11/27/20 8:52 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

if a competition authority came to us and said "if you create a standard that promotes interoperability for scope_foo_  in timeframe_bar_  using your normal process, we will leverage that in our remedy", would we rise to the occasion?

It's a _very_ interesting question.  On one hand, that seems squarely within IETF's scope and purpose.  On another hand, I wonder whether IETF consensus would be willing to support the constraints that some countries would want to impose, or perhaps, whether different countries would want to impose mutually incompatible constraints and be unwilling to let IETF sort out the differences.

Figuring out where to draw the line between IETF's purview and the various countries' purviews might be a necessary precondition for that kind of work.

Keith