Google, etc, and their proprietary protocols

I know there are a whole lot of things that Google is doing for configuration, casting of urls (cf chromecast), etc which use proprietary protocols. Lots of other vendors are inventing the same or similar wheels. Can anybody tell me why these haven't been standardized? Is it politics? It sure is a PITA to not be able to send a URL to Apple Device or cast from Firefox onto my chromecast. I assume that this tangle applies for every other ecosystem like Apple and Amazon.

Does anybody know the history and/or why we suffer this mess? I mean, the base level mechanisms seem pretty well understood.

Mike, cheers and happy T-day for those who celebrate it :)