Re: Google, etc, and their proprietary protocols

> Il 26/11/2020 21:33 Michael Thomas <mike@xxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> I know there are a whole lot of things that Google is doing for
> configuration, casting of urls (cf chromecast), etc which use
> proprietary protocols. Lots of other vendors are inventing the same or
> similar wheels. Can anybody tell me why these haven't been standardized?

Well, whether an open standard exists is often not the driving factor in choosing between using a standard or a custom protocol - or, the open standard is taken and used in non-interoperable ways, through incompatible extensions or simply by refusing connections from third party clients.  Instant messaging is a trove of examples of this.  Social single sign-on is another example.  It does not make a lot of sense to put effort into standardizing something, if the market leaders do not want to interoperate.

> Is it politics? It sure is a PITA to not be able to send a URL to Apple
> Device or cast from Firefox onto my chromecast. I assume that this
> tangle applies for every other ecosystem like Apple and Amazon.
>
> Does anybody know the history and/or why we suffer this mess?

I suspect that the reason is that we now have a generation of Internet CEOs that noticed that you can make a lot more money if you conquer the entire market and then lock your users into a walled garden and refuse to interoperate, so that others cannot take the market away from you just by being better.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx