Re: mail signing history, was Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

> Large webmail systems have always been pretty strict about what header
> addresses you can use. I don't think it was ever easy for one Gmail
> user to send mail pretending to be another.

But it was turning on submission auth that makes a really good case that
a person did in fact send that piece of email. I wonder if this has been
used legally yet? Most likely the vast majority of the time it doesn't
need to come down to that.

I can't speak to use in court, but this seems relevant:

 https://blog.erratasec.com/2016/10/yes-we-can-validate-wikileaks-emails.html#.WA4khPkrLAW

Also, credit where credit is due: Matthew Green is the primary impetus
behind the push to publish keys:

https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2020/11/16/ok-google-please-publish-your-dkim-secret-keys/

				Ned