Re: mail signing history, was Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

In article <0f1c26b8-e101-8630-ba9b-8acaf59ac9b5@xxxxxxxx> you write:
>It was certainly our intention that it was at least for enterprise since
>that's the use case we were most interested in at Cisco. But Ned is
>right that a lot of our motivation at Cisco was driven by spear
>phishing. We didn't ultimately succeed because there were just too many
>things emitting mail in closets from 386 servers everybody was afraid to
>turn off. I hope it's a different situation now after 15 years.

DMARC includes a reporting feature you can turn on without turning on
any of the policy stuff. It's exactly so you can find those servers in
closets. Cisco now publishes a p=quarantine DMARC policy which
suggests they think their random server problem is under control.

>The funny thing about this non-repudiation issue is that I don't recall
>anybody bringing it up, and that's probably because it was a non-issue
>then because submission authentication was pretty rare. DKIM couldn't
>prove anything beyond that it was the domain that sent it which is
>pretty ho-hum for say a gmail.

Large webmail systems have always been pretty strict about what header
addresses you can use. I don't think it was ever easy for one Gmail
user to send mail pretending to be another.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",