Re: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

I personally find that unfortunate, but support in browser clients is not an indicator of FTP's utility either.   One reason to use FTP is that browser clients are really poor tools for some kinds of file transfer, especially if you want to transfer multiple files with minimum human interaction.

I find wget a great tool as well.  I have used it on sites with multiple documents that do not support other mechanisms.  I have scripts running wget for some of these.  I just see rsnyc as a more efficient use of resources than a script running wget(s).

I use wget on occasion.  But it doesn't let me browse a file system, interactively list files, etc.   Nor does it let me mount an FTP server as a file system.   wget works well in some kinds of scripts, as does curl, but it's not exactly easy to use.

(I'm pretty sure you know this.   But some people seem to be saying "you don't need ftp, you can use this other tool for scripting" when the underlying protocol doesn't support the features that the particular application needs, and the applications using FTP aren't always scripts calling a separate program.)

Keith