RE: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

Hi!

Noted, you would like the FTP service to continue.

I don't follow on how doing nothing reduces operational effort -- ongoing maintenance is always needed.  Nevertheless, doing nothing is not possible.  The underlying storage holding all IETF content is being refreshed.  Positive action is required to migrate all services which created a natural inflection point to consult the community on FTP based on observed usage patterns.

> The second best thing is some clever and lazy officer just declare to stop the
> service.

You are welcome to provide feedback that you don't think we should retire the service.  However, you are crossing the line with your personal attack of calling me lazy.

You correctly note that I serve on the IESG, a NomCom eligible position.  If you have strong concerns about my performance, I have put name in to be considered for another term as Security AD.  Please share your concerns with the NomCom at https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2020/ (clicking on the "provide feedback" link).

> Are there any?
>
> > In consultation with the Tools team (Robert, Glen, Henrik, Russ, and
> > Alexey), Communications team (Greg), affected SDO liaisons, IAB Chair,
> > and LLC ED, a proposed retirement plan was developed and is available
> > at:
>
> Wow! I'm impressed that there are so many hardworking guys.

Correct, there a number of hard wording men and women doing their best to serve the community.  Thanks for acknowledging them.

The various members of the tools team provided and helped with log analysis.  The communications team reviewed the web site content for dependencies.  A few of the RFCs found to have ftp pointers documented activities with other SDOs so the IETF liaisons (to IEEE and ITU-T) provided guidance on how to potentially handle that if we proceed with this plan.  These documents were in the IAB stream, so the IAB chair helpfully provided a review.  The LLC Executive Director also provided early feedback on a draft.

Regards,
Roman