Re: [rfc-i] Poll: RFCs with page numbers (pretty please) ?

  If you want something more precise than section numbers, the only portable one I can envisage is paragraph numbers. That has a good chance of working across all formats.

I like that as a permanent reference value - its obviously a stable number for any given document and easily tracked or created from the source/canonical document.

Maybe we provide that as a fixed reference in a TOC for a particular paginated version along with the option to have a second value indicating the local page number for that version (Cake and eat it too...?)  E.g.:

2.3. Arguments Against Page Numbers ........... L25 (pg 4)
2.3.1 Stare Decisis ........................... L28 (pg 4)

I guess you could also automatically generate a per-paragraph anchor for HTML documents.

Note:  I'm actually fine with no page numbers, but I do see the arguments for them.  I kill a lot of trees marking up documents, just because its easier to spread out the pages and see the relationships between the sections and text and page numbers can be useful for collation at least.

Later, Mike