Re: [Last-Call] Iotdir telechat review of draft-ietf-cose-x509-07

On 2020-10-20, at 03:15, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe we use the term bag because it is permissible for a certificate
> artifact to appear more than once. Stupid maybe, but permissible.
>
> I think that some systems/libaries considered the Issuer/Subject to be the
> key for indexing the set, and then they got confused if there was more than
> one certificate in the bag.  The additional object used a different signature
> and/or hash.  At least, I have some dim memory of some situation being
> described to me.  I think that the names of the guilty parties were withheld.

I think we have a different perception of what “is” means.
In my shopping bag, there *is* a difference between having one or two yoghurts in there.
In the x5bag, having the same certificate twice is exactly equivalent to having it once.
So it “is” a (non-empty) set, not a bag, even if the *representation* (as an array, with a special case for the singleton) can actually have duplicates.

Given the semantics, the question how one “finds” things in that set is more of an implementation question.  I don’t think offering this as a multimap(*) with some arbitrarily chosen map key is flexible enough.  Normally, a simple iterator (so you get to see any and all of the elements) will be the best solution, because the implementation cannot know what the application-specific validation process is looking for, and we are talking about a very small set.

Grüße, Carsten

(*) Cannot be a map, as there is no guarantee of uniqueness of any key.