RE: digital signature request

On 25 Feb 2004 at 12:16, Neil Carpenter wrote:

> > the value in having the list processor sign all posts
> > is simple.  guaranteed identification of the list
> > traffic for any recipient who decides to verify
> > signatures.
>
> This seems to solve a non-problem.  Unless there are spam messages that
> where the sender has, for instance, forged the existing "Sender:
> owner-ietf@xxxxxxxx" header, signing these messages will add nothing of
> value.  It seems much more likely that a spammer would simply send
> e-mail to the ietf@xxxxxxxx list & allow the list itself to propagate it
> than that they would specifically forge that header.

again, i'm not imagining that having the list
processor sign all mail will stop spam from entering
the list.  the problem i need to solve is how to stop
spam from being sent *directly* to me.  accepting only
email with whitelisted signatures will solve my
problem.

btw, i thought you needed to be subscribed to the ietf
list prior to being able to post to the ietf list?

On 25 Feb 2004 at 11:26, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> You have yet to demonstrate the problem you are trying to solve even
> exists.
>
> I've gotten over 2700 spams this month, and zero of them have "ietf"
> anywhere in them, either header or body.  Thus, I see no compelling
> reason for the ietf's list software to sign anything when a simple MUA
> filter on the Sender: line already achieves 100% accuracy.

see above response.  also, from my perspective digital
signature verification is simpler than maintaining a
filter list.  i'm tired of the spam/anti-spam arms
race.  i'm going to deploy a solution that is
unspoofable.

On 25 Feb 2004 at 12:06, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: gnulinux@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > > Having the latest tools means nothing, unless
> > > they are used right.  Are
> >
> > i'm using them correctly
>
> I, for one, am unconvinced.  I have had no trouble
> filtering unwanted mail from this list, thanks to
> procmail.  My various filters have no trouble
> dealing with more than 99.9% of the unsolicited bulk
> mail including viruses and worms directed at my
> mailbox.  For my mail, my filters have a total false
> positive rate (legitimate rejected divided by total
> legitimate) of less than 0.1%.  Whether your filters
> are doing as well as you want them to does not seem
> like a concern of the IETF.

i have ~98% accuracy thanks to bayesian filtering.  i
haven't calculated my false positive rate, but i get
false positives.  even *one* false positive is
unacceptable.  even if my filter accuracy was 99.99% i
would still need to trawl my spam folder to check for
false positives.  and as the spam volume continues to
grow trawling the spam folder takes more and more
time.  i need to stop false positives and digital
signatures are one possible solution.

> > the value in having the list processor sign all
> > posts is simple.  guaranteed identification of the
> > list traffic for any recipient who decides to
> > verify signatures.
>
> I think it would be simpler for all concerned and in
> this case just as effective if the IETF list
> processor would offer to do SMTP-TLS and for an
> appropriate cert to be published on http://ietf.org/
>
> However, I would not suggesting that for any
> practical or operational reason.  It would merely
> set a good example.

i'm not familiar with SMTP-TLS but i will go read
about it.  FWIW, i think that digitally signing all
list messages would also set a good example, and it
too is a simple implementation.

david