Re: Consultation on proposed IETF LLC Community Engagement Policy

> On 12/10/2020, at 1:11 PM, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In line for context, and I hope this does not get too deep.
> Yours,
> Joel
>
> On 10/11/2020 7:56 PM, Jay Daley wrote:
>> Hi Joel
>> Thanks!
>>> On 12/10/2020, at 12:40 PM, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The policy cited seems strange in multiple regards.
>>>
>>> In regard to the LLC Board, the policy states that it applies to the board, and then does not seem to say anything clear about what the policy is for board members.  Maybe I missed it?  More likely, given that most board members are also community participants (the extreme case being the IETF Chair) I suspect that there is not much to say.  So don't claim the policy applies to them.  Or put it more explicitly that there is nothing to say about the board.
>> While that’s true for two of the sections, 'Development of RFCs' and 'NomCom',  the other two sections, 'Community Feedback' and 'Mechanisms' apply equally to board and staff.  Does that need to be made clearer?
>
> Looking at those sections, I am not seeing how they would affect board members actions or discussions.

Sometimes the board consults directly and they also have to follow these rules.

Added as issue #2 "Policy on RPC engagement in development of RFCs is too restrictive" at https://github.com/ietf-llc/community-engagement-policy-consultation/issues/2

>>> The only one that seems to be captured properly is the Contractors other than Secretariat / RPC.
>>>
>>> There is also the interesting complication that the RPC staffers have a business relationship with the secretariat.  We normally veyr much want the Secretariat to stay out of IETF business.  Is the distinction between the RPC and AMS really that clear?  My understanding is that at least some of the RPC are employed by AMS?
>> They are all employed/contracted by AMS.  AMS provides us with
>> - RPC
>> - Secretariat
>> -- Clerical
>> -- Meetings
>> -- IT
>
> So Secretariat in this policy means those people employed by AMS under funding from the Secretariat contract?  And if they have a person who is split?
> I think this needs clarification?

The two are currently quite separate and tendered as two separate contracts.  If someone did work for both then both sets of restrictions would apply.

Added as issue #3 "Policy needs to address people in multiple roles" at https://github.com/ietf-llc/community-engagement-policy-consultation/issues/3

Jay

--
Jay Daley