Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum-03

>> Despite the fact that RFCs prohibit hosts from reducing the valid
>> lifetime to less than 2 hours in response to a received RA, some
>> routers do send such RAs and some hosts do (in violation of the
>> standards) deprecate the prefixes accordingly. This is kind of a
>> no-win situation because if you deprecate the prefix, you have
>> weaponized (spoofed) RAs as a mechanism to tell a host to deprecate
>> a prefix. OTOH, if you dont deprecate the prefix, you have a
>> situation where the user may well be suffering for at least two
>> hours with a non-functional stale prefix.
>
> There are two lifetimes: the preferred lifetime and the valid lifetime.
> The two hour limit only applies to the valid lifetime. (RFC 4862,
> Section 5.5.3)
>
> So an address can always be deprecated (preferred lifetime is zero),
> but it will remain valid for 2 hours or the current valid lifetime,
> which ever is less.

Yes, I conflated some terms… Sorry…

To be clear:

Some routers send PIOs in RAs with a valid lifetime of 0 and some systems erroneously process that and invalidate said prefix. This violates RFC4862 and is a potential DOS vector. If you invalidate the prefix, you have weaponized RAs as discussed in RFC4862.

A deprecated valid prefix that actually should be invalid will cause less suffering than a non-deprecated prefix in the same circumstance, but the no-win situation I was describing remains.

Owen