Re: multi-site meetings --- the nature of IETF 111 -- SFO

> On Sep 22, 2020, at 8:38 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 22 Sep 2020, at 8:17, Livingood, Jason wrote:
>
>> Maybe for WG sessions we should just let the WG chairs determine the timeframe that works best for the participants rather than imposing a time zone on a top-down basis? To use an extreme example, if all the participants are in UTC then why force them all to meet in UTC+10 for their session? Letting each WH choose their meeting times seems a potentially better way to go, though common sessions like the plenary could adhere to a common time zone. I'm sure conflict avoidance may be an issue but I'm sure this could be sorted during the draft schedule stage.
>
> Asking the WG chairs to decide which WG members might be the most important is not a good way for the IETF to go. The fact that many of the authors and regular list contributors for the WG are in one region is irrelevant to the value of a meeting.

I agree.

I think the best way to do this is to share the pain.   That is, like the face-to-face meetings, we should cycle through different time zones regions for each virtual meeting.  That way, everyone suffers equally.    Approximately, one meeting near your local time zone, one early or late, and one in the middle of the night.

Bob