Re: [Last-Call] [yang-doctors] [netmod] Yangdoctors last call review of draft-ietf-netmod-nmda-diff-04

Hi Alex,

I will review the latest version.

See below for questions/responses.

On 2020-09-15, 5:19 PM, "yang-doctors on behalf of Alexander L Clemm" <yang-doctors-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of ludwig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hello Reshad, hello YANG Doctors,

    thank you for your review!  Please find my replies inline, <ALEX>.  We
    have also just posted -05 (thanks, Yingzhen, for doublechecking my
    updates).

    --- Alex on behalf of coauthors

    On 9/7/2020 7:06 AM, Reshad Rahman (rrahman) wrote:
    > <Here's the same message with hopefully more readable formatting>
    >
    > Review of rev -04 by Reshad Rahman
    >
    > The document is clear and well-written. While some issues have been identified, they can be resolved quickly.

<snip>

    > Questions
    > 	1.	YANG model: does the operation “delete” make sense for a diff operation? If it is kept, it’d be good to have some text explaining that for a diff operation, “delete” and “replace” are the same? If they’re not the same, please also add some text….
<RR> I actually meant "delete" and "remove".
    <ALEX> Here we are simply referring to the basic YANG-patch edit
    operations per https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8072#page-11.  Those are
    in turn derived from <edit-config> operations per
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6241#page-37.  I am not sure we need add
    to explain those, as we are directly referring to YANG-patch.

    </ALEX>
<RR> The operations are indeed well defined in RFC8072 (copied below), but they are defined from the perspective of YANG-Patch. So for YANG-Patch "delete" and "remove" are different operations, but from a diff comparison I believe they are the same (the resource must exist since it's being returned in a diff)

   +-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
   | delete    | delete a data resource if it already exists; if it    |
   |                | does not exist, return an error                               |
   |                |                                                                                      |
   | remove | remove a data resource if it already exists           |
   +-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

    > 	3.	YANG model P9, for the “uses path:yang-patch”, why not have a  reference to RFC8072 (is it because the description above mentions RFC8072)?
    <ALEX> We are clearly referencing RFC 8072; are you suggesting to put a
    reference substatement below the uses statement?   It looks a little
    strange to me but sure, we will add it.
<RR> Not needed.

    > 	4.	Section 7 mentions rate limiting requests per client. Should there be a “global” rate-limiting too, i.e not client-specific?

    <ALEX> I am not sure this is really needed as I think the number of
    management clients will in general be fairly limited to begin with, but
    we can certainly add it.  How about the following text:

    OLD:

    One possibility for an implementation to mitigate against such a
    possibility is to limit the number of requests that is served to a
    client in any one time interval, rejecting requests made at a higher
    frequency than the implementation can reasonably sustain.

    NEW:

    One possibility for an implementation to mitigate against such a
    possibility is to limit the number of requests that is served to a
    client, or to any number of clients, in any one time interval, rejecting
    requests made at a higher frequency than the implementation can
    reasonably sustain.
<RR> Good with me.

    </ALEX>

    > 	5.	Wondering if section 8 should be in an Appendix (or even removed)? Also, the method suggested doesn’t seem to guarantee that the difference persisted for the “dampening” time.

    <ALEX> Personally, I do think it makes sense to include a brief
    discussion of possible further extensions.  I suggest to keep the
    section if it's okay with you, or perhaps leave it to the chair whether
    they have a preference to remove it.

    </ALEX>
<RR>Whatever the WG/chairs decide is fine with me.

Regards,
Reshad.