Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-09.txt> (Message Digest for DNS Zones) to Proposed Standard

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 09:05:41AM -0700,
 The IESG <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
> (dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'Message Digest for DNS Zones'
>   <draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

No objection to the draft but I suggest two add two things, to precise
the applicability of this technique.

1) In 1.1, after "For example, a name server loading saved zone data
upon restart cannot guarantee that the on-disk data has not been
modified.", add "Such modification could be for instance the result of
an accidental corruption of the file, may be because a disk was full
[and add the reference to
<http://web.archive.org/web/20100618032705/https://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialogue/news/2733.html>]

2) In 1.1 (or may be in the Security Considerations), after "not
provide any methods to verify data that is read after transmission is
complete.", add "The ability to verify a signed zone after its
transfer is limited in time. If the keys or DS records are no longer
in the public DNS, the verifier cannot check the authenticity of the
ZONEMD record. This can happen even if signatures in the zone are
still current (not expired), keys and DS records may have been
withdrawn following a key rollover. Therefore, verification must be
timely."