Re: [Last-Call] [v6ops] [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum-04

On 9/9/20 23:17, Uri Blumenthal wrote:
Capability-wise, what's the likelihood that the attacker would be present on the southbound interface, but *not* on the northbound one?

I'm not sure I could talk about "likelihood" in any measurable way.

But I'd argue that, generally speaking, anyone that shares the same LAN/Connection will be on the southbound interface (e.g., think of a cyber-cafe, university network, enterprise network, or whatever) whereas in order to be present on the northbound interface you'd probably normally be:

* A rogue ISP
* A state actor, or,
* Somebody that managed to get to the right cable.

For the "normal" attacker, I'd say it's much more likely to be present on the south-bound interface, whereas for other cases, I guess it could be both.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx || fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx