Re: Bloated messages from the ietf list for the week ending Sun Aug 16 14:36:38 2020

On 2020-08-17, at 18:43, John R. Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And on the third hand, in a world of streaming video, the total storage and bandwidth that mail uses, bloat and all, is a rounding error.

I’m more concerned about human bandwidth (*).

So if we can find a closer proxy for how much human bandwidth a set of messages consumes, that would be useful.  Starting with not counting headers certainly is.

BTW, modern mail readers typically can “mute” a conversation, so in many cases, if the subject is *not* changed in a sudden logorrhea, the human bandwidth consumed can be 0.

Grüße, Carsten

(*) and, yes, I do recognize there is also emotional bandwidth.
But that is very hard to measure.  Again, muting may help.