Re: Method of Contact - Consultation on DRAFT Infrastructure and Services Vulnerability Disclosure Statement

i hate to be late to the party, but..

Is the overall effort here really just framing what the security.txt
for all IETF-LLC properties/things should be?
(also I had thought jim duncan's security.txt thing was long-since a
defacto standard... but: draft-foudil-securitytxt-09 says otherwise,
oops)

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:00 AM Livingood, Jason
<Jason_Livingood@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would love to see comment on these 2 key questions:
>
> (1) >   * The proposed mechanism for reporting a vulnerability.
>
> When I originally thought about this I was concerned at the default to use email, acknowledging that this is something with which most IETF participants are quite comfortable. I wondered if it might be better to specify that a web interface was the reporting method, which would automatically generate a report ID number on submission that a bug reporter could use for their reference later on. In contrast, an email may not arrive or may be delayed and automatically generating an acknowledgement response with a ticket/tracking number would rely on an additional system that may have communications issues with the email system.
>
> It seems like a web-based reporting system may also provide a better level of security protection by encrypting the channel & contents of the communication vs. less secure email.

I think the easiest thing to use is email, forcing a web interface is
rough on some folks :(
an email to a ticket system with auto-responder (and ideally both gpg
verification inbound and signing outbound) would be nice.
that could be published on the eventual security.txt even :)
  "send gpg signed mail, if you can gpg sign, expect a gpg signed mail
from our ticket system with incident-id"

security@ ? :)