Re: Spelling, Grammar and Style in Internet Drafts

On 31/07/2020 18:43, Ron Bonica wrote:
Folks,
IETF workload might be reduced if presentation were addressed early in a document's life cycle. To achieve this goal:

   *   Could the RFC editor recommend a few software tools that draft authors can use to check spelling, grammar, and style (e.g., Grammarly, Hemmingway, ProWritingAid)?
   *   Could authors use these tools before submitting Internet Drafts?
   *   Could WG chairs and document shepherds use these tools to evaluate documents before adopting or progressing them.

Ron

I have come to ignore questions of spelling and style until late in the day. I used to apply polish early on but then the text got hacked about and the polish was lost so now I leave it until WGLC when the text is hopefully more stable (unless I find the text ambiguous or unclear). I did once buy 'American English Usage and Style' whilst at an IETF meeting but, for me, it does not do what it says on the tin so I use the RFC Editor notes and my (en-UK) experience.

Tom Petch

                                                                Ron