Re: Some more thoughts about language and what to do next

Skickat från min iPhone

> 31 juli 2020 kl. 16:33 skrev Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

>>   At the same time, let’s seek more guidance about all of this from experts and develop a real decision framework that is based on firm ground, as it were.  Once we get that we iterate.
>
> Yes.
>
> Except maybe we can stop using particularly egregious words, as indicated by consensus.

Isn’t such consensus something that develops in society, outside in the IETF? I certainly never had to read an I-D to figure out I shouldn’t write “lapp” in a technical document even though it is a great translation of “patch” to Swedish. That knowledge came to me from interacting with other humans.

I personally think that if we need the IESG to tell us how to speak and behave we have a dysfunctional culture in the IETF and that won’t get fixed by further arguing over documents or standing up IANA registries.

Leif