Re: Some more thoughts about language and what to do next

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:10:37AM +0200, Eliot Lear wrote:
> I’ve got a proposal for a way forward toward the bottom.  &tldr; be
> iterative and do research.

I've got a better proposal: let the SAA and/or obudsperson, and
ultimately the appeals process when participants choose to appeal their
decisions, be the arbiter of what is and isn't unprofessional /
unbecoming / offensive language.

A key required component of leveraging the SAA function -in order to not
overwhelm it- is that we should ask participants to try to see language
in the best possible light by ascribing good faith to other participants
_by default_.  The alternative to this is devolving towards being
confrontational by default -- surely not a good thing.

We have the SAA and ombudsperson functions for a reason.

For example, if I use the word "folks" in a post to this list[*], then
rather than immediately getting the vapors and passing out, maybe you or
whoever might take offense should start by assuming I didn't mean to
offend, then consider the possibility that due to regional linguistic-
cultural variations my use of "folks" might be perfectly innocent, and
*move on* -- or, if the rest of my note were to drip with condescencion
and betray intent to offend, or if you're otherwise still unsure, then
reach out to the SAA.

Nico

[*] I'm sure I have!