Re: Kudos to MeetEcho

On 28/07/2020, at 2:16 AM, Richard Barnes <rlb@xxxxxx> wrote:

While there has been a lot of progress since 107, it is clear from the first couple of sessions that there are still a many rough edges that are wasting a lot of WG time.  We should take a serious look at whether it's worth investing more in refining this tool, or whether a more standard tool would be appropriate.

It’s worth remembering that the primary use case for Meetecho is to provide online support to an in-person meeting while its secondary us car is an entirely online meeting. The primary use case requires physical adaptations that are not easily found in systems designed for the second. It would of course be possible to have different systems for the two use cases but feedback from the community so far has been to use a single tool.

Another complicating factor is the use of WebRTC, which, as we’ve seen. is not supported either well enough or consistently enough across even the main browser platforms.

The final complicating factor is of course the complexity of IETF requirements - for example we require a system that dynamically recognises multiple roles via OIDC and grants permissions accordingly.

That’s not to say these complications apply to all of our system choices. Instant messaging for example is very different.

Jay
--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director