Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Hi Nico, Fernando,
At 02:25 PM 28-07-2020, Nico Williams wrote:
In regards to "folks"?!

Yes. Please see https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/kSG5GfCE5ozrD-mRiJ4lGu-E9zY/

I'm from Argentina.  I spent 15 years in the NYC area.  I've since been
living in Texas.  I use Texas-isms all the time to demonstrate comfort.

Yes, I suppose I could use "y'all" and "folks" to talk-down-to, or sign
"Cheers," (an Ozzie-ism?) as in "bleep off", and perhaps I have, but I
also sign "Cheers," frequently out of habit, as a positive note.  Because:

The words which you mentioned above would likely be used by people who have some affinity with a geographical area.

There are a few English sentences (unrelated to what you wrote) which I regarded as friendly. I have a different opinion nowadays.

Well, context simply matters.  Much language is dual-use!  :)

Yes.

Intent also matters.  Lack of intent to offend does not mean offense
won't be received, and it does not mean that the first person shouldn't
consider adapting their speech to avoid giving further offense when they
learn of it, nor does it mean that the second person shouldn't learn to
identify contexts that make the apparently-offensive speech not-quite-
so.  Lack of intent certainly means we should be open to forgiveness.

Should previous complaints be taken into account? Should the differences in culture be taken into account?

Empathy requires we make an effort to assume good faith, and that we be
open to learning and forgiving.

There is a message at https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/eligibility-discuss/PJJ3GuNKOlcNrmu1ETZeTINFHwY/ If that is the principle which reflects reality, I doubt that anyone who falls outside it would be open to forgiveness.