Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 28/7/20 13:00, Nico Williams wrote:
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 09:35:45AM -0700, The IESG wrote:
[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-knodel-terminology/

I'm surprised not to find there anything like a survey of RFCs, current
I-Ds, and maybe even expired I-Ds, of problematic language.

Well, for the time being, my understanding is that the list itself of what's considered "offensive language" is being produced.

Or any
analysis of the prevalence of problematic language and trends in its
use.

There's empirical evidence that such language has been used.

 Did we use to have a problem that we now no longer have?

If the use of such language is considered a problem, then yes, that still happens. And since people come and go, whatever has happened in the past may be different from what happens in the future. So I'm not sure to what extent that would be relevant.

Do we still have a problem?

Part of the problem, I guess, is the definition of "we". e.g., since the vast majority of IETF participants are white, probably the answer to "do we have a problem?" will, from that perspective, be "no".

Similarly, most folks will have no problems with the use of "balkanization", since the vast majority of participants are not from the balkans.

And most folks will be happy to use "third-world countries" or the like, since most participants are from what are typically considered "developed countries".

Is it getting better or worse?

Can we ask the author, and/or maybe the RPC, to perform such a survey?

IMO, that would be like overengineering the isue, but....

(The RPC presumably would only survey RFCs, not I-Ds.)

Actually, if such survey were to be done, it should probably done on RFC, I-Ds, and mailing lists. Because, if such language is offensive, it doesn't matter the specific status of the document that uses it, or whether it's a mailing-list post as opposed to an actual document.

Just my two cents,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks