Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 26/7/20 10:38, Salz, Rich wrote:
[...]

The point is not to avoid **any** word that could offend someone.  It is about being open and adaptable, so that when a group comes forward we try to accommodate them.  And we make it clear, by our actions, that we are willing to listen and be inclusive.

FWIW, I find the effort worthwhile. That said, there's a long way from using more inclusive language to being inclusive.

It would seem to me that only specific aspects of inclusiveness, and only specific dimensions of diversity are considered.

For instance, whenever we have had discussions on e.g. where to hold meetings such that the IETF is more inclusive, the usual answer is that that's not necessarily a goal, and that meetings should happen where most of the attendees come from. -- which talks a lot about protecting the status quo rather than about being more inclusive.

It also puzzles me a bit when the actions that are meant to be more inclusive do not include the most affected folks in the decisions/actions.

Maybe if we need to "be willing to listen" (to the "outside"), it's probably because we're not being very inclusive in the first place?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks