Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On Jul 25, 2020, at 00:20, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [rant]
>
> IMHO the biggest issue today is non-state sanctioned, often international
> slavery typically called human traficking (slavery ~= state sanctioned).
>
> I have a real hard time imagining how RFC word changes could have any
> positive impact on worldwide human traficking.
>
> On the other hand i can very well imagine how commoditizing end-to-end
> encryption through TLS is very much helping worldwide organized crime
> especially all the startup, small business organized crime.

It’s interesting to see that the example you picked here implies that citizens end to end communication without the government able to read it is something that you personally don’t even need to consider as a danger to your person. That this might be a positive trade-of, compared to facilitating a regime that vanishes people in unmarked vans while they communicate in full protection themselves.

This is why the IETF can always use more diversity. There are small things we can do, like avoid using certain language, and big things we can do, like ensuring TLS 1.3 does not have MITM properties. We should so do all of these. And by doing the small things immediately, we help those for who these thousands of small things in their lives have accumulated to structural discrimination.

Paul