Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

Thanks for the thoughtful questions, Victor.

I think the set of terms under consideration here is quite
limited, and the remediation being proposed is similarly
limited, so I'm not that concerned about potential impacts.
I do think it would be a terrible idea to try to develop an
exhaustive list of alternatives but a few examples might not
be a terrible idea.

One thing I think we need to be clear about is that we can
only change what we do, not what others do, and if a reference
from an older document or from another body contains language
we no longer use we can add a few clarifying sentences.

Having recently been through this in non-IETF contexts (including
some truly hairball build/CI environments), the _decision_ to
try to avoid exclusionary language can feel burdensome but the
_implementation_ effort is really pretty trivial.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore
melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx