Re: On diversity in the NomCom

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 8:01 PM John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Of course, the relatively new rules requiring IETF consensus for
Informational and Experimental documents in the IETF stream take
us in exactly the opposite direction.

I also note that many other SDOs publish informative,
non-standard, documents in the form of technical reports

Yes, and when I have to read anything that is not a Standards Track RFC, I just groan.

The IETF is not perfect, but Internet Standard documents are generally clear.

That said, Internet Draft links are now sufficiently stable, making many kinds of RFCs unnecessary.

But we are getting fairly far from the "diversity" topic and the
Nomcom.

The argument was that stuffing the NomCom was ok, because of "resources" that might be withdrawn..

My reaction was something like "ooh, promise?". I don't feel good about a bunch of telecom companies bent on hobbling encryption.

thanks,
Rob