Re: Virtual HotRFC lightning talks for IETF-108

Reminder: the submission deadline for HotRFC is one week from today.  --aaron

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 8:38 AM Aaron Falk <aaron.falk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you have an idea, problem space, or proposal that IETFers should hear about?
Do you want to propose IETF work but aren’t sure if your idea is ready or who will be interested?

Agenda requests are now being accepted for the Request for Conversation (HotRFC) lightning talk session. Presenters will submit a 4 minute video to make their case for collaboration. Interested folks can continue the discussion online. Goals include encouraging brainstorming conversations, helping new work proposals find collaborators, raising awareness of relevant work going on elsewhere, and promoting BarBoFs.

We’re going to try to preserve the value of this session while adapting it to a fully online meeting. Keep in mind this is an experiment and feedback is welcome to improve it should we be in this situation again. With that as prologue, here is how we’ll do it this time:

  • To request a slot, submit a short abstract to hotrfc@xxxxxxxx that includes the following
    • Talk title
    • Presenter, Affiliation
    • Short topic abstract (topics should be IETF-related in some way)
    • Coordinates to learn more, contact those involved, &/or relevant meetings
  • All talks will be presented via pre-recorded video
    • To submit a talk, send a link to a YouTube video to hotrfc@xxxxxxxx no later than 2400 UTC July 21, 2020
    • VIDEO MUST BE NO MORE THAN 4 MINUTES IN LENGTH (longer videos will be rejected)
    • We will aggregate the videos into an IETF-108 HotRFC YouTube playlist on the IETF YouTube channel
  • We will provide a Slack channel for each talk to facilitate discussion.
    • Slack has been selected because it is lighter-weight than dedicated email lists and supports asynchronous messaging with history. (Recall I said this was an experiment. :)
    • Assuming no hiccups, the playlist and channels should be up around July 22. I’ll send a note to the IETF & 108attendees when they are ready.

Past HotRFC topics have included proposals for new standards work, updates on relevant technologies, highlights of cross-area IETF work, potentially relevant research, and industry advances that could affect IETF participants. With strict time limits, concise talks will give viewers a sense of whether they’d like to know more and, importantly, coordinates on how to do so.

I hope you’ll tune in.

--aaron