Re: Challenge: Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

--On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 06:02 +0200 Toerless Eckert
<tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
> NomCom chair did not write that she used discretion, she
> declared what read like a statement of rules. This
> characterization i disagree with. I said from the beginning
> that i think NomCom chair has discretion. Mike disagreed with
> that.

Understood.  But consider where we are now, given the above.

Possibility 1: Barbara used discretion in interpreting the
rules.  If she is entitled to do that, then you can appeal the
decision made with that discretion, but cannot challenge it.

Possibility 2: Barbara read the rules in a certain way that led
to her current list and result.  You can claim the way she read
the rules was improper and appeal on that basis, but you have no
basis for challenging the list.

and, I guess, Possibility 3: You believe Barbara should have
stated whether she applied discretion or read the rules in a
particular way and object to her not doing to.  I suppose you
could appeal that although my personal opinion is that it would
be a waste of the community's time (your opinion may, of course,
differ).  But, again, that is not a basis on which you can
challenge the current list.

While I was not explicit about it before, I believe those are
all of the cases.  And they lead to exactly the same place: if
you want to pursue this further, take it up with the ISOC
President.  I would encourage you to first ask what you expect
to accomplish, but that, again, is up to you.

Finally, as others have suggested, if you think the rules in
this area need clarification, I strongly encourage you to
produce an I-D that amends/updates the current specs or replaces
them and/or to propose a WG or BOF to address those questions.
I won't promise to support you in that, but I think it is the
only possible way to make actual progress.

best,
   john