Re: Challenge: Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

Toerless,

I agree with Mike's comment about disagreement with the result
of a challenge, but let me add a substantive comment or two
about your note (if you think it appropriate, to your message to
the ISOC President).  Inline

--On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 01:43 +0200 Toerless Eckert
<tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear NomCom chair,
>
> I challenge your characterization of "the random selection
> should have been done with..." as a justified ecision reason.
>
> I do not think there is adequate evidence from the RFCs that
> that characterization  is a mandatory interpretation of the
> RFC. I am not the only one who said so.

For better or worse, many of our procedural RFCs, not unlike
many of our technical specifications, do not provide "mandatory
interpretation"s of large numbers of things.  If that were a
requirement, we'd need to drop the use of SHOULD in
specifications and we'd need to drop the convention that our
leadership is given rather broad discretion when they think it
is necessary, subject, of course, to appeals.  So, if there is
an ambiguity (apparently some people, including you given that
mandatory interpretation comment, think there is) then the
Nomcom Chair gets to decide.  If one believes that the Nomcom
Chair decided incorrectly, either because there is an ambiguity
or because one reads the documents differently than she does,
then you can appeal if you want to, but that means a discussion
with the ISOC Present, not requesting (or demanding) that the
Nomcom Chair reconsider.

> I have also asked, but i have seen NO further attempt to cite
> sentences from the RFC to prove that this is a necessary
> reading of the RFCs, so for all intent and purpose, instead,
> my questions and input have been explicitly been ignored.

I can't speak for others, especially Barbara, but I, at least,
tried to understand your argument, questions, and input, at
least up to the point of concluding (perhaps correctly, perhaps
not) that you were repeating yourself.  That is not ignoring
you, much less doing so explicitly.  I have seen no evidence
that Barbara explicitly ignored you either.  For me at least, it
is just, in the end, disagreeing.

   john