Re: On diversity in the NomCom

On 13 Jul 2020, at 8:01, Bron Gondwana wrote:

I'd say of the many types of diversity - geographic location, primary language, personal identity, age, length of time involved with IETF, etc... that primary area affiliation would be a valuable thing to have diversity of within the nomcom - particularly since it handles nominations for the directors of these areas - having experience within multiple areas on the committee is valuable.

Just a few quick reminders:

a) We have an email list that is discussing NomCom eligibility more broadly: eligibility-discuss@xxxxxxxx. Right now, it's discussing the topic of pre-selection volunteer eligibility (because of the outstanding issue of who is eligible now that we're having online-only plenary meetings), but selection criteria might be an interesting future topic.

b) Brian Carpenter has a draft on possible criteria changes: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-carpenter-eligibility-expand/ (the HTML version is most useful).

c) Brian's document is on the agenda for the gendispatch at IETF 108 https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/108/session/gendispatch. If selection criteria is a plausible future topic, that might be interesting input on how to dispatch the work. (Or not: We might decide that Brian's document needs separate handling from other NomCom related topics, but it's worth knowing that other topics are floating around in the community.)

FWIW: I like the idea of area diversity among NomCom members, and while I think we do have quite a few "tribes", we also have quite a good amount of cross-area work too, and that's a good value for the NomCom to embody and be thinking about.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best