Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

On 7/13/2020 5:59 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
Hi

On 13 Jul 2020, at 11:44, Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola=40open-xchange.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Il 13/07/2020 04:46 STARK, BARBARA H <bs7652@xxxxxxx> ha scritto:

Apologies for not replying sooner. But, my house was being packed on Wednesday, loaded on the truck on Thursday, we cleaned out the old house on Friday, drove 800 miles on Saturday (and I ended up having to drive one of the cars the whole way), and started putting the new house together on Sunday. I was totally off-line and blithely unaware of this storm.

I’ll be chatting with Victor and Suresh tomorrow. I’m also going to reach out to Luigi and Tal, to make sure they’re aware (in case they aren’t on this list). I’ll send an email Monday before 23:59 UTC.

Sorry to join late - I don't know Luigi, but coming from the same cultural background, I would like to point out that it is quite likely that his decision to give up his appointment was meant as a courtesy to a colleague in a company he just joined, under the understanding that it was possible for Tal to keep his appointment (which, by the way, is a bit different than "replace Luigi with Tal", since Tal was since the beginning in all the Nomcom membership lists that were published). Should you decide to change that, you should check with Luigi if this was his motivation - if so, he should have the opportunity to reconsider his decision after being given correct information.

+1.  Yoav mentioned this course of action and I agree.

Eliot

I don't disagree with this and wouldn't challenge it if it happens but:

a) Generally, the Nomcom has held resignations to be irreversible for quite a while; this was part of the "once you're on the Nomcom and it starts deliberations, you're ineligible to stand for any Nomcom selected position" thing.

b) The fact that we're getting "meant as a courtesy to a colleague in a company" as a reason suggests that some of the general fears about members potentially being more focused on what their company wants rather than what the IETF needs may have a strong foundation on reality.

c) If Luigi - or for that matter any member - decides to resign, then the full randomness process needs to be taken.  E.g. once discretion enters the process, the pre-calculated list needs to go away and new numbers selected. (and yes, Tal would be eligible to be selected assuming there was only 1 Huawei member on the Nomcom).

Later, Mike