RE: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

Il 13/07/2020 04:46 STARK, BARBARA H <bs7652@xxxxxxx> ha scritto:

Apologies for not replying sooner. But, my house was being packed on Wednesday, loaded on the truck on Thursday, we cleaned out the old house on Friday, drove 800 miles on Saturday (and I ended up having to drive one of the cars the whole way), and started putting the new house together on Sunday. I was totally off-line and blithely unaware of this storm.

I’ll be chatting with Victor and Suresh tomorrow. I’m also going to reach out to Luigi and Tal, to make sure they’re aware (in case they aren’t on this list). I’ll send an email Monday before 23:59 UTC.

Sorry to join late - I don't know Luigi, but coming from the same cultural background, I would like to point out that it is quite likely that his decision to give up his appointment was meant as a courtesy to a colleague in a company he just joined, under the understanding that it was possible for Tal to keep his appointment (which, by the way, is a bit different than "replace Luigi with Tal", since Tal was since the beginning in all the Nomcom membership lists that were published). Should you decide to change that, you should check with Luigi if this was his motivation - if so, he should have the opportunity to reconsider his decision after being given correct information.

More generally, if people are so concerned about companies "stuffing" the Nomcom, we should just reduce the maximum number of Nomcom members per company to one. However, if ensuring diversity in the Nomcom is a requirement, then the IETF should rather enforce it under all its dimensions, starting from gender and geography (of people and of employers). Incidentally, if you consider the company-affiliated members, Huawei seems to be the only non-American employer in this year's Nomcom, so if we really value diversity in employers so much, having Huawei employees looks like a plus.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx