remote camera protocols?

I have a friend who is a theater person, who as everybody knows has been completely shut down. I remarked to him that it's probably time to start thinking about streaming plays. His counter is that it's expensive which I'm guessing is mainly in the production costs much more than the equipment. What occurs to me is that you don't *really* need camera people on site, or at least it's very plausible that they could do this remotely which would cut down quite a bit of the cost.

So the obvious question is whether there are existing standards for remote operation of cameras, sound equipment, lighting, etc? Is this something we've done?

Mike