Re: IETF Administration LLC information

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 4:04 PM John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> --On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 15:46 -0400 Donald Eastlake
> <d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > ? The standard definition of a roll-call vote is that each
> > member's name is called aloud in alphabetic order at the
> > meeting and their response or non-response recorded.
> > See, for example, the relevant part of Section 45 (Voting
> > Procedure) in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th or
> > 11th Edition. (Sees to be Section 44 in somewhat earlier
> > editions.) The minutes you quote look like a perfectly good
> > roll-call vote to me.
>
> Don,
>
> I have not taken the time to hunt up my version of Robert's
> Rules, which, in any event, tends to address meetings procedures
> and not record-keeping. However, the in most present and
> historical contexts I'm familiar with, the normal practice is
> that, if there are formal minutes (or equivalent) taken and
> published, a roll-call vote is a recorded vote.  "Recorded", in
> that context, means who voted which way rather than merely that
> a vote was taken and passed.
>
> I assume the question was actually about why, when the IAOC
> (quite properly) recorded the results of roll-call votes, the
> LLC Board, at least for the cited
> case, seems to no longer be doing that.

Yes, and in fact RRONR says "Taking a vote by roll call (or by yeas
and nays, as it is also called) has the effect of placing on the
record how each member ... votes. It is usually confined to
representative bodies, where the proceedings are published, since it
enables constituents to know how their representatives voted ..."

Thanks,
Donald
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx