Re: Blockchain?:: I am looking Forward to the End of Telepnony Identifiers

> Il 24/06/2020 01:45 Steve Todd <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> I, myself, have had some interest in either adapting existing
> protocols to use DIDs or developing new protocols to use them while
> also incorporating currently emerging security work like what is
> going on the mls working group. That being said, there is such
> incredible momentum around DNS and certificate authorities that I
> wonder if a general transition to something truly decentralized is
> possible. In my opinion, DNS has enabled so much but has ultimately
> led us to a centralized internet. As you allude to, the email
> address has become the common ID for the internet, email addresses
> are tied to domains, and (most) domains are owned by corporations,
> and because of that we don't own our identity on the internet.

In terms of identifiers (not of identities), the reason why you don't own your identifier is that you didn't bother to spend 10$ per year and buy your own domain name. The fact that most people don't do that is a problem of user education, but possibly also a sign that in the end most people don't care about not owning their identity on the Internet.

Sure, but what we need then is a federated version of "Log in with Google/Apple/Facebook" (hint: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bertola-dns-openid-pidi-architecture/ (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bertola-dns-openid-pidi-architecture/?include_text=1) ). There's no technical reason why single sign-on cannot work like email - only business reasons that led people to build walled gardens.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx