RE: Quick follow-up to discussion on fees for IETF 108

Dear Jay, All,

I would like to use this opportunity to give feedback on the unfortunate fees for remote participation.

IETF has many longstanding and dedicated contributors who do not have an employment but still contribute to different IETF areas. For example I retired 1.5 years ago and am a member of the OPS directorate as well as the secretary of the YANG Doctors team. Since retirement I was attending nearly all meetings remotely. The only meeting I could attend physically was the last Prague meeting where I paid the travel and a day ticket privately. The rest of the meeting I was following from the hotel room remotely.

I think a limited Fee Waiver Program is not really helpful. What if there are more than 100 people asking for a waiver which all are valid cases of dedicated contributors?

I believe IETF should be interested to keep its longstanding members which do useful contributions.

There are easy ways to verify whether a person is indeed not able to pay the meeting fee so that misuse can be avoided.

Thanks,

Mehmet