Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

Lucky everyone. I read this thread all the way to the bottom, and smart people said much of what I was thinking, so you don't have to read my take on it. But on a couple of points ...

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Portmanteau reply to several messages:
On 12-Jun-20 07:12, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Not to be a wet blanket but what happens if corpro bean counters find
> out that they can game the system for the cost of a checkbox?

I think that can be avoided by making it clear that "name and shame" is a possibility.

Shame is relative.. Jason already pointed us to Jay for additional sponsors; we can shame in public or we can contact organizations privately and say "we noticed that you have about 20 (to pick a number) attendees who said they needed waivers to attend these meetings that seem to be important enough that they signed up and participated at awkward local times. We offer waivers to people who need waivers, but the meetings can't happen if everyone is on waivers. Do your folks need waivers, or can you help support these meetings in the future?"

We can always move towards shaming in public if we need to, but it's hard to back off from it, once you've tried it :-)

And, re: "students/young people are our future", I'm still startled to hear how many of key attributes of the Internet came from people I know now, but didn't realize that they were graduate students when they made those contributions. So, +1 to that.

Best,

Spencer